A Different View on Autoimmunity
Over the last few decades, autoimmune disorders have increased dramatically. Over 50 million people in the U.S. alone are believed to suffer with at least one autoimmune condition. Current research has identified 100 different autoimmune diseases.
Autoimmune conditions occur when your immune system starts to attack your own cells, tissues, and organs. Autoimmune disease typically presents itself first with non-specific and seemingly random symptoms like fatigue, brain fog, headaches, joint pain & gastrointestinal discomfort. As the autoimmune attack progresses, more symptoms are noticed prompting a patient to visit their physician.
Conventional allopathic medicine has yet to recognize many influences like environmental toxins, food sensitivities and a multitude of stressors which create immune dysfunction and autoimmunity. Rather, autoimmune disorders are treated as diseases of particular organs. For instance, Hashimoto’s disease is treated as a thyroid gland problem. Rheumatoid Arthritis is treated as a degenerative joint disease and medications are given to suppress the immune system.
While medications can reduce some of the tissue damage, this current medical model has some significant flaws:
- Suppressing immune system function makes the body more susceptible to infections.
- Immune suppression does not identify the root cause of the autoimmune cascade.
- Without properly addressing the cause or causes of the autoimmunity, additional autoimmune disorders are likely to develop.
The functional medical model now recognizes that the root of all autoimmune conditions is chronic inflammation creating dysfunction in the immune system. While autoimmune disease can never be “cured,” with a disciplined and comprehensive approach a patient’s hyperactive immune system can be moderated. This results in fewer autoimmune flare-ups, reduced tissue destruction or complete symptom relief.
At Rejuvagen, we utilize a strategic functional medicine approach to help our patients struggling or diagnosed with autoimmune disorders. All autoimmune disorders have two common links or causes; a genetic disposition, meaning you have genes that make you more susceptible, and an epigenetic trigger or some type of stressor that activates the autoimmunity.
Rejuvagen’s Approach to Autoimmunity…
- We utilize a thorough health evaluation and specialized lab tests to identify the triggers that may have activated your autoimmunity.
- Support the repair and restoration of comprised physiology
- We continue to support the patient with recommended diet and lifestyle modifications and supplemental support to restore cellular function, address micronutrient deficiencies and improve overall health and quality of life.